- Wildlife habitat-home to grassland birds, butterflies and many other beneficial insects.
- Protect and enhance species diversity.
- Deep root systems hold soil and supports an abundance of microorganisms.
- The grass and wildflower root systems help to rebuild our soils.
The Friends of Gottfried Prairie & Arboretum does not give guidance on maintaining privately owned prairies at this time. However, we recommend the following resources:
- Native Plant Finder: https://www.nwf.org/nativeplantfinder/
- Plants for birds: https://www.audubon.org/native-plants
- Native plants for bees and wasps: https://www.pollinatorsnativeplants.com/
- Wild Ones native garden designs: https://nativegardendesigns.wildones.org/
- The Prairie Enthusiasts
- Wisconsin Dept. of Natural Resources
- Prairie Nursery, go to Resources and Guides pull-down menu.
- Prairie Moon Nursery, go to Learn pull-down menu.
- Bringing Nature Home by Douglas Tallamy
- Wisconsin Flora, 2nd edition, by Steve W. Chadde
- Wildflowers of Wisconsin and the Great Lakes Region, 2nd edition, by Merel R. Black & Emmet J. Judziewicz
- Gardening With Prairie Plants: How To Create Beautiful Native Landscapes by Sally Wasowski